Thursday, September 13, 2018

"Man of the house"

Definition in dictionary says "the most important male member of a family, who is responsible for doing things such as paying bills, making important decisions etc"

Who is man of the house? When there are working woman earning well hand in hand who is Man of the house? Why when a woman sharing financial burden to run a house, still society perceives woman as an associated financial entity working for fun?

Isn't it sad to know this is the way a woman is perceived after all this hard work.

I got hold of diary of a working woman, lets see glimpses from a routine day's scribbled notes of hers...

As compared to my male peers, Its much harder, more alert, more disciplined, healthily, on schedulers and reminders,
i live my day with multi-fold facets of duties to handle, just to perform at par in my workplace ?

I have educated, smart, new generation modern men all around me today. I am surrounded by men, who have been with working women, in all fields from aviation to construction sites.

But i still have men who eats like me but waits for someone to cook. I still have men out of them who when finds a messy house, looks at someone with disappointment.
I still have men who take their career decisions freely which I follow and it's well accepted in society without a hitch.
I still have men who when take care of their own child in my absence, expect a "big thank" in return.
I still have men who don't know where things are kept in their "own" homes.
I still breath in a society where creches are only women employee's "first demand and biggest relief", despite of the fact that each of those
children have a working father too.

It's not an easy world for me as a working woman and when i juggle somehow among all these and then if i perform well in my workplace, i am not graded well because same men are there too somewhere.

I am not an individual instead i am an associated entity to a man.

Its difficult to understand not only by society even by my family and parents, WHY do "I" require that coveted position or remuneration when i am just an additional source of income to house.

And I am not here to blame only men for this lopsided structure of society.

If this men world alone had to be rewired.. It would have been lot easier, its roots are deeper..
because this system is running on shoulders of women like me itself in different roles..

I will share a short story here to highlight my thought..

Nikhil one of my relative stays in guwhati in a joint family. He is most adorable son, a good husband and father of 3 kids.
He has revered & pampered his mother till last days and considered wife and kids as his secondary responsibility.
One day his eldest daughter got married and soon she was expecting a kid. You what she earnestly prayed to god..??
She diligently prayed day and night " to have a son who is just like her father ......"

Thats is opportunistic duality in our womanhood. Lets try to avoid it in relationships at home and at workplace.

lets be good to us and also to ones like us.
lets not just wish us women's day instead be justified to us in all forms around us.
lets stop being judgemental to ones not like us.
"lets teach and train our sons and brothers first before telling it to our husbands.
lets wear equality robe in all roles..
lets not be situationally and rationally equal.
lets love our kind as a whole and teach others same.

A very happy women's day.

No comments: